Abandoned Elementary School to Get $30.5M Renovation

Windmill Street Elementary School in Providence, R.I., has sat abandoned for more than a decade. The building has experienced three fires within the last four months, as well as years’ worth of vandalism, graffiti, broken windows, and broken fences and doors. Now, the facility is set for a $30.5-million renovation project that will allow it to open its doors to students once again.

City Councilman Nicholas Narducci announced the start of the project last week. Funding was allocated last year as part of a $160-million bond approved by voters in 2018 and an additional $140-million school projects bond passed in November 2020.

The city is partnering with Eastman/Perkins Architects and Bacon Construction Co. for the design, construction and demolition work. Other tasks include asbestos removal, window replacement, playground equipment replacement and more. The project is currently scheduled for completion in fall 2023.

“When I was about 10 years old, my grandad was the boiler man, the fireman at this building, and I remember my dad taking me here for the first time to see my grandfather,” said Anthony Rao, former student, PE teacher, and eventually principal of Windmill Street Elementary School. “Such an enormous school it was for a 10-year-old child to see.”

According to local news, mayoral candidate Gonzalo Cuervo said that he’d prefer to see the building not just renovated, but “redesigned in a way that responds to the modern needs of education,” including preschool, afterschool programs and recreational activities. “Simply remodeling an 80-year-old building—it’s still an 80-year-old building,” he said.

Officials have announced that, after the building is completed, it will be used as a swing space to house students whose home schools are under construction. On a longer timeline, the city plans to open it as its own dedicated school facility once again.

About the Author

Matt Jones is senior editor of Spaces4Learning. He can be reached at [email protected].

Featured

  • UNT Dallas Holds Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony for $100M STEM Building

    The University of North Texas at Dallas in Dallas, Texas, recently celebrated the opening of its new, $100-million STEM Building, according to local news. The ceremony on Dec. 2 preceded the first day of classes in the facility on Jan. 12, 2026.

  • UT System Board of Regents Approves $108M Housing Complex

    The University of Texas System Board of Regents recently announced the approval of a new, $108-million housing complex at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), according to a news release. The facility will stand four stories and have a total of 456 new beds for freshmen students.

  • Photo credit: Elkus Manfredi Architects

    University of Virginia Selects Design-Build Team for New Residential Complex

    The University of Virginia in Charlottesville, Va., recently announced that it has selected a design-build team for a new upper-class residential development on campus, according to a news release. Capstone Development Partners—in partnership with Elkus Manfredi Architects and the Hoar Construction/Hourigan construction team—will move forward with the three-building, 310,000-square-foot housing facility.

  • Northeastern University Breaks Ground on New Housing Community

    Northeastern University recently announced the groundbreaking of a new student housing community on its campus in Boston, Mass., according to a news release. The university is partnering with American Campus Communities (ACC) for development of the project, which will have the capacity for 1,200 students and has a scheduled completion date of fall 2028.

Digital Edition