2017 Healthy Facilities Advocate
Hawaii Preparatory Academy (HPA) received the Healthy Facilities Advocate recognition for its mission to promote healthful, place-based learning on a site with access to 80 percent of the world’s ecosystems:
• HPA monitors the indoor environment using devices that detect carbon dioxide, temperature and sound levels.
• HPA makes standing desks and anti-fatigue mats available to teachers.
• HPA uses dry steam vapor for cleaning and disinfecting, and a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner, having reduced annual spending on chemical cleaners by nearly $4,000.
• HPA uses a low-toxicity plant-based intervention to control insects.
• The HPA Energy Lab achieved Living Building Challenge Certification by the International Living Building Institute (ILBI), and was also awarded Platinum-level LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) for Schools 2.0 certification by the U.S. Green Building Council.
HEALTHY SCHOOLS = CARING. The Healthy Facilities Institute (HFI), in partnership with School Planning & Management and College Planning & Management magazines, proudly acknowledge the thousands of caring individuals that work in the nation’s public and private schools and the standouts are highlighted, based on applications, through the Healthy Facilities Awards.