Kentucky District Awarded Additional Funds to Support Recovery from School Shooting

Benton, Kentucky – U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos, alongside Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin, announced today that Marshall County School District (MCSD) in Kentucky has been awarded a second Project School Emergency Response to Violence (SERV) grant totaling $460,064. This grant will assist MCSD in its continued recovery efforts following the Jan. 23, 2018, shooting that took the lives of two students and injured 14 others.

"I'm inspired today by the resolve and determination of the students in this community," said Secretary DeVos. "While the road to recovering following a tragedy like the one you all have endured is a long one, we at the Department are committed to being a partner in that recovery. I'm grateful to Gov. Bevin for his continued commitment to improving school safety, and we know that this second allocation of Project SERV funds will be utilized in a way that helps students and teachers continue to heal and feel safer at school."

According to education officials in Kentucky, the Project SERV grant will be used to hire additional school resource officers, hall monitors and a school nurse. The funds will also be used to allow students who are not yet ready to return to school to continue their studies through an at-home, online program.

"We are grateful to Secretary DeVos and the U.S. Department of Education for another significant grant allocation in support of the Marshall County community," said Gov. Bevin. "Following the tragic events of January 2018, West Kentuckians showcased to the world their exceptional strength, faith and resiliency. Our Commonwealth continues to stand united with the students, educators and families of MCHS, as we utilize every potential resource available to help them heal and move forward together."

The Marshall County School District was previously awarded a Project SERV grant totaling $138,213.Marchall District

Featured

  • University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Launches New Emergency Communications System

    The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) recently deployed a new emergency notification and incident management system for its campus, according to a news release. The university partnered with 911Cellular to launch Safe@UTC, a smartphone app allowing university officials to communicate and respond during emergency situations.

  • CU-Lock Haven Receives $1.75M Gift for New Entrepreneurship, Media Center

    Commonwealth University-Lock Haven in Lock Haven, Penn., recently received a $1.75-million donation from entrepreneur and alumnus Nicholas Subich ’17, according to a university news release. The funds will go toward establishing the Nicholas Subich Center for Entrepreneurship and Media, a technology-driven hub for innovation and experiential learning.

  • Surging Demand for Student Housing Fuels Major Campus Investment Opportunities

    University leaders throughout the U.S. are accelerating plans to modernize and expand student housing as enrollment stabilizes and demand for on-campus living rebounds. Recent data from the National Center for Education Statistics indicates that total postsecondary enrollment is projected to grow through the end of the decade, with undergraduate enrollment alone expected to increase by more than 8 percent by 2030.

  • Spaces4Learning Trends & Predictions for Educational Facilities in 2026: Part II

    As education leaders look toward 2026, the design of K–12 and higher education facilities is being reshaped by powerful, converging forces. Survey respondents point to the rapid growth of Career and Technical Education, deeper alignment with workforce and industry needs, and the accelerating influence of AI and emerging technologies.