Campus Renovations

Princeton Theological Seminary Restores 1800s-Era Residence Hall

Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, N.J., recently completed the restoration of the second-oldest residence hall on campus, according to a news release. The college partnered with Voith & Mactavish Architects LLP (VMA) to modernize Brown Hall, built in 1864. The work covered 46,500 square feet and included interior renovation and exterior rehabilitation, selective demolition, civil work, and landscaping, the news release reports.

The building’s new design exchanges the traditional dorm layout (double-occupancy rooms and communal hallway restrooms) for individual bedrooms featuring private bathrooms. Each floor has a lounge area for group study and socializing, featuring furniture made of wood salvaged from the restoration process. The first floor includes a central lounge area and a kitchenette. Additions also include new lighting fixtures, a new elevator, window blinds, and tiled bathroom floors, according to the news release.

Exterior renovations include a new portico on the north façade and an additional entrance to link the residence hall to the rest of campus, creating a central quad area. The roof now features removable dormers that allow easier access to updated MEP and fire-protection systems. The building has also been updated for accessibility, featuring new ramps with handrails leading to the main entrance.

Princeton Theological Seminary partnered with structural engineer Keast & Hood, MEP engineer Ewing Cole, civil engineer Van Note-Harvey Associates, landscape architect ML Baird & Co. and general contractor Irwin & Leighton.

About the Author

Matt Jones is senior editor of Spaces4Learning. He can be reached at [email protected].

Take our survey!