Teen Faces Charges in Shooting at Florida High School

A 16-year-old student is facing charges after an active shooter incident put Seminole High School in Sanford, Fla., on lockdown for several hours on Wednesday, Jan. 19. The suspect, Da’raveius Smith, has been accused of one count of attempted murder, possession of a firearm on school property, firing a weapon on school property and disturbing the peace, said local police.

Local news reports that the incident began around noon. Sanford Police Chief Cecil Smith said that resource officers were informed that there was a weapon on campus and that gunshots were coming from a nearby building. According to Smith, a school resource officer found an 18-year-old student who had suffered three gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to the hospital and underwent surgery for non-life-threatening injuries. The victim has since been identified as 18-year-old senior and student athlete Jhavon McIntyre.

Police were told that the suspect fled to a nearby apartment complex. Local news outlets report that officers were able to rapidly identify and locate the suspect and take him into custody “without incident.” Police also recovered a 9mm handgun in bushes outside the school.

The motive of the shooting is still under investigation. Early reports called it an isolated incident resulting from a “dispute over a young lady,” said Chief Smith. However, the suspect claims that McIntyre had been repeatedly taunting him over a recently deceased relative. Local news reports that McIntyre had approached the suspect and his girlfriend and “confronted [Da’raveius] Smith about a deceased relative and accused Smith of making the comment ‘f you’ to the deceased, the report stated.”

"The incident that occurred today is one that we prepare for but hope never occurs,” wrote Chief Smith in a statement. “We are grateful there was no loss of life today; however, the gravity of what happened is not lessened. I am proud of the swift actions of the school resource officers and other law enforcement that immediately responded, provided aid and ensured the safety of the students on campus.”

The suspect first appeared in court on Thursday, Jan. 20. Attorneys requested that he be held for 30 days, and his next appearance has been scheduled for Feb. 14.

About the Author

Matt Jones is senior editor of Spaces4Learning. He can be reached at [email protected].

Featured

  • abstract representation of hybrid learning environment

    The Permanence of Change: Why Hybrid Is the New Baseline

    Hybrid learning is here to stay, and it's reshaping how campus spaces function.

  • Stanford Completes Construction on Graduate School of Education Facility

    Stanford University in Stanford, Calif., recently announced the end of construction on a new home for its Graduate School of Education, according to a news release. The university partnered with McCarthy Building Companies on the 160,000-square-foot project, which involved two major renovations and one new construction effort.

  • New City School

    Turning Crisis into Opportunity: Transforming New City School

    When New City School in St. Louis suffered catastrophic flood damage in July 2022, the event could have marked a serious setback for the 100-year-old institution. Instead, it became a forward-looking opportunity.

  • Spaces4Learning Launches 2026 Education Design Showcase Awards

    Spaces4Learning has opened submissions for the 2026 Education Design Showcase! The awards program launched in 1999 with the goal of celebrating innovative, practical solutions in the planning, design, and construction of K–12 and higher-education facilities. EDS recognizes new developments that help achieve optimal learning environments, as well as the architecture firms that brought the ideas to life.

Digital Edition